Superheroes of the Round TableComics Connections to Medieval and Renaissance Literature
Few scholars nursed on the literary canon would dispute that knowledge of Western literature benefits readers and writers of the superhero genre. This analysis of superhero comics as Romance literature shows that the reverse is true--knowledge of the superhero romance has something to teach critics of traditional literature.
Establishing the comic genre as a cousin to Arthurian myth, Spenser, and Shakespeare, Superheroes of the Round Table uses comics to inform readings of The Faerie Queene, The Tempest, Malory's Morte and more, while employing authors like Ben Johnson to help explain comics by Alan Moore, Jack Kirby, and Grant Morrison and characters like Iron Man, the Hulk, the X-Men, and the Justice League. Scholars of comics, medieval and Renaissance literature alike will find it appealing.
Superheroes of the Round Table is available at DriveThruComics.com.
- Legend of the Five Rings: Secrets of the Empire (RPG News)
- Achtung! Cthulhu: Investigator's Guide (RPG News)
- Judges' Handbook II (RPG News)
- The Esoterrorists 2nd Edition (RPG News)
- Girl Genius Volume Twelve (Comics News)
- D&D 4E March of the Phantom Brigade (RPG News)
- The Paradox Room by Monte Cook, & Bruce Cordell (RPG News)
- Doctor Who Special Bundle Offer! (RPG News)
- Demon: the Descent Prestige Edition Kickstarter (RPG News)
- Slaine: The Treasures Of Britain (Comics News)