The Functions of Role-Playing GamesHow Participants Create Community, Solve Problems and Explore Identity
This study takes an analytical approach to the world of role-playing games, providing a theoretical framework for understanding their psychological and sociological functions.
Sometimes dismissed as escapist and potentially dangerous, role-playing actually encourages creativity, self-awareness, group cohesion and "out-of-the-box" thinking.
The Functions of Role-Playing Games also offers a detailed participant-observer ethnography on role-playing games, featuring insightful interviews with 19 participants of table-top, live action and virtual games.
The Functions of Role-Playing Games is available at RPGNow.com.
- Legend of the Five Rings: Secrets of the Empire (RPG News)
- Achtung! Cthulhu: Investigator's Guide (RPG News)
- Judges' Handbook II (RPG News)
- The Esoterrorists 2nd Edition (RPG News)
- Girl Genius Volume Twelve (Comics News)
- D&D 4E March of the Phantom Brigade (RPG News)
- The Paradox Room by Monte Cook, & Bruce Cordell (RPG News)
- Doctor Who Special Bundle Offer! (RPG News)
- Demon: the Descent Prestige Edition Kickstarter (RPG News)
- Slaine: The Treasures Of Britain (Comics News)